FIRE SAFETY TIPS
In light of the recent house fire in the
Village, the Stewart Manor Fire Department has prepared the following fire
safety tips which could prove useful in saving you and your family’s lives.
Draw a map of your
home with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room
and a path to the outside from each exit.
Practice your home fire
drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone
in your home, and practice using different ways out.
Teach children how to
escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
Make sure the number of
your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
Close doors behind you
as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
Once you get outside,
stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
Matches and lighters should be stored out of
the reach of children, in a locked cabinet.
A home should have smoke alarms on every level,
outside each sleeping area and inside each bedroom.
Test smoke alarms every month. If
they’re not working, change the batteries. Batteries should be changed each
time you change your clocks twice a year.
your smoke alarms every 10 years.
Teach children what smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear one.
Smoking materials are the leading
cause of residential fire deaths in the United States. If you smoke, take
precautions: Smoke outside; choose fire-safe cigarettes; never smoke in bed,
when drowsy or medicated, or if anyone in the home is using oxygen.
Turn portable heaters off when
you leave the room or go to sleep.
Talk to children regularly about
the dangers of fire, matches and lighters and keep them out of reach.
Fix or replace frayed extension cords,
exposed wires, or loose plugs.
Make sure wiring is not under
rugs, attached by nails, or in high traffic areas.
Store combustible materials in
open areas away from heat sources.
If you are cooking and a fire
starts in a pan, slide a lid over the burning pan and turn off the burner.
Leave the lid in place until the pan is completely cool. Moving the pan can
cause serious injury or spread the fire. Never pour water on grease fires.
Keep the stove area clean and
clear of things that can catch fire, such as pot holders, towels, curtains,
bags, and other appliances.
Lit candles should not be placed
in windows where a blind or curtain could catch fire.
A green baby stroller was found on Covert
Avenue a couple of weeks ago. If you believe it is yours please contact Village
Stewart Manor Volunteer Fire Department is actively seeking members for Fire /
EMS. If interested, come down to the Firehouse Thursdays at 8:00 PM or
Sundays 10:00 AM or call the Firehouse at 516-354-0880. Help provide emergency services to your friends and